Current Size: 100%

Information for

Total Withdrawal Support

Total Class Withdrawals

Students who find it necessary to withdraw from all of their classes for the current semester or for a subsequent semester for which they have already registered must complete a Total Withdrawal Request Form.

This form must be submitted by the end of the 12th week of classes for the semester (fall/spring) in which students wish to withdraw. For summer sessions, this form must be submitted before final examinations have started. Please see the University Calendar for specific dates and deadlines for each semester. Students who are physically unable to complete the withdrawal in person and students who are administratively withdrawn should contact their Dean or advisor for assistance. See the Student Reference Manual for important details.

Instructions for Students

  1. Obtain the name and Howard-issued e-mail address of your advisor

  2. Access the Undergraduate Total Withdrawal Form or Graduate Total Withdrawal Form.

  3. Complete all required fields highlighted in yellow.

  4. Sign the document in the 'Signature' area.
  5. Select 'Click to Sign'.
  6. Your request will be routed to the appropriate offices.


Unofficial Withdrawals

The Unofficial Withdrawal Policy assists the University in administering its Title IV federal financial aid program. Department of Education regulations require the return of disbursed federal financial aid received by students who do not attend and participate in courses for which they are not enrolled. The University must adjust the federal financial aid of all students who either never report or stop attending and participating within the first 60 percent of the semester.


In previous years, "UW" and "NR" grades reported as final grades did not affect a student's grade point average. But henceforth, students who never attend or stop attending without officially withdrawing will adversely affect their grade point averages through the failing grades they will earn at the end of the semester.


Students who find it necessary to drop/withdraw from a course must complete the official process by the required deadline. Please refer to the University Calendar for specific dates and deadlines.